Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Sweet Rice


Ever since we moved from Rexburg, ID, we have been going through Bajio withdrawls! Bajio is this yummy Mexican grill and it is one of our favorite places to eat! When we moved here we looked up the closest Bajio and it was about 30 minutes away...and there are only 2 in the state of Texas only a few miles apart from each other. So one day we decided to make a trip to go eat there and when we finally found it, it was closed...Out of business! So we went to the next one which was closed as well! This was a huge disappointment for us! So I looked online for some Bajio recipes and I found the Sweet rice recipe....which is pretty much the most amazing item on their menu! I made it today and my husband loved it...he said it tastes just like Bajio's! So I thought I would share it with you! Here it is:


Ingredients

Directions

  1. 1
    Put a little oil in bottom of pan (maybe about 1/2-1 tablespoon).
  2. 2
    Saute chopped onion until translucent. Add the chopped cilantro (no big stems) and saute a minute more.
  3. 3
    Add the rice, cooking until it is light brown (being careful not to burn).
  4. 4
    Combine the chicken broth and sugar, letting sugar dissolve. Then stir into rice until combined. Bring to a boil.
  5. 5
    Cover and let cook on low, med-low until rice is done, about 25-30 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
  6. (Courtesy of recipezaar.com)
    After step 3 I just threw everything into my new rice cooker and it turned out perfect!
    I decided to use this rice in attempting to make a Flauta Bajio which is basically a very delicious mexican salad!
    I used:
    1 Flour tortilla
    sweet rice
    salad(Romain)
    Cheese
      Cilantro Ranch Dressing
      You can also add:
      Cooked shredded marinated chicken or other meat of your choice
      Tortilla chip Strips
      Sour Cream
      Sweet corn
      Beans

No comments:

Post a Comment